I got my wireless (at last!)
Just yesterday I got a note from Startrack to say that my order from EverythingLinux Pty Ltd had arrived. Went down to the Industrial Area, picked it up, stopped by at a computer store on the way home to get an ethernet card, got home, opened up, removed crappy old modem, installed shiny new ethernet card, and did the easiest installation of *any* network hardware I have ever done.
Then came the hard part. D-Link products seem to use IPs in the range of 192.168.0.x, while Netcomm uses 192.168.1.x. I had a D-Link DWL-810+ wireless-to-ethernet with a Netcomm NB5580W router. And a computer whose OS had *never* been exposed to any form of external network. Combined with a person that doesn't know a huge amount about Unix network configuration.
Luckily I had network-admin installed... Yesterday I messed it up, this morning I tried again, and finally after I came home today I had it set up in about two minutes. Turned out I had to assign an IP in the 192.168.1.x range, set it to not use a gateway, and set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.
After all that, it works...